Video Codec Analysis and Testing
Moscow State University (MSU) Graphics & Media Laboratory has more than 10 years of experience in video and image processing, including compression algorithms and methods. One of our research directions is video codec analysis &ndash we have prepared more than 25 video codec analysis reports, including public and private reports.
We can provide several types of collaboration in area of codec comparison for codec developers companies, and for encoding solutions users and professionals. Typical use-case for that work is &ndash codec development company or codec user want to analyse encoding quality of its encoder and to compare it with the competitive solutions.
Private Codec Comparison
You send us codec with chosen presets and we will perform codecs comparison for you. The result will be similar for our public comparison, like MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Video Codecs Comparison but much more analysis, pages and graphs as in Enterprise Edition of the comparison.
There are many pre-defined variants of this analysis type. Deatiled information could be found at Private Codec comparison page.
This is a most cheap and easy way for collaboration. Price for such work depends on number of codecs/presets, sequences and etc.
Periodical Codec Testing
We can provide on-line web-based testing service for you. You upload your codec (new codec or new version of codec) to our server, and receive speed/quality graphs for this codec and previously uploaded codecs in 1-3 days.
This is very useful solution if you plan to test codecs frequently (for example 2-5 times at year) for finding better encoding quality. An example of such analysis is VP8, x264 and XviD comparison.
The price for such type of service could be with half-year and year licenses.
Software Solutions for Internal Codec Testing
There is a common task to analyze a video codec to assess its quality, quality of its functions. For example such a task appears when developing a new codec or tuning an already developed one. Such tasks commonly are solved by manual or semiautomatic testing systems and often these systems have not a sufficient number of functions for complete analysis.
We propose two software systems to help you test and analyze codecs and algorithms
MSU VQMT - Video Quality Metric Tool
Main use-case of MSU VQMT is to compare video sequences using objective quality metrics. Main features of proposed system are:
- Support of most popular file formats: AVI, YUV, MOV, MP4,...
- Support of many popular video quality metrics: PSNR, MSE, SSIM, VQM, ...
- Graphic user and command-line interfaces
- Plug-ins support
YUVsoft ViCoS - Video Codecs Scoring System
Main tasks of ViCoS is video codecs performance analysis based on objective video quality metrics, special quality analyzers.
- client-server architecture
- DB usage (MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle, etc.)
- Results visualization (including MATLAB scripts)
- Robust codec launches &ndash if a codec fails the system continues to work, marking the error for this codec.
- Specific Analysis Types &ndash ViCoS uses specific types of analysis: well-known and specially developed
This is most powerful solution. It is intended for codec comparison performing. Fully automatic quality evaluation of video processing systems using objective quality metrics and special sequences. The soultiuon can include trainings of system usage and more general trainings of codec comparisons.
VQMT and ViCoS Functionality Comparison
|MSU VQMT||YUVsoft ViCoS|
|Main use-case||Compare video sequences||Analyze and compare video codecs|
|Source video sequences formats||Over 20 formats||Only raw YUV|
|Video Analyzers, including ME, RC, Mode Decision, Luminance shift, ME efficiency and other analysis)|
|Encoding speed analysis|
|Results in .csv files|
|Binary result file|
|DB usage (MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle, etc.) for integration with existing QA systems|
|Client-server architecture for parallelization using multiple clients|
|Presets normalization: finding best preset with fixed complexity/encoding speed|
|Best presets selection for all speed/quality trade-offs|
|Results visualization||Simple internal graph builder||MATLAB toolbox for complex garph generation|
|Home page||MSU VQMT||YUVsoft ViCoS|
Another Codec Analysis and Tuning Tasks
We perform independent codec estimation comparing to other codecs for different use-cases, as described above, but also could make next tasks:
Strong and Weak Points of Your Codec
Encoder Features Implementation Optimality AnalysisWe perform encoder features effectiveness (speed/quality trade-off) analysis that could lead up to 30% increase for speed/quality characteristics of your codec. We can help you to tune your codec and find best encoding parameters. One example of this analysis type is x264 Codec Strong and Weak Points analysis.
If you have any questions or want to perform codec analysis as described here or any other please feel free to contact us:
MSU video codecs comparisons resources:
- Introduction to Video Codecs Comparison
- Lossless Video Ñodecs Comparison 2004 (October 2004)
- MPEG-4 SP/ASP Video Codecs Comparison (March 2005)
- JPEG 2000 Image Codecs Comparison (September 2005)
- First Annual MPEG-4 AVC/ H.264 Video Codecs Comparison (January 2005)
- Second Annual MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Video Codec Comparison (December 2005)
- Subjective Comparison of Modern Video Codecs (February 2006)
- MPEG-2 Video Decoders Comparison (May 2006)
- WMP and JPEG2000 Comparison (October 2006)
- Third Annual MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (December 2006) (All versions for free!)
- Lossless Video Codecs Comparison 2007 (March 2007)
- Fourth Annual MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (December 2007) (All versions for free!)
- Options Analysis of MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Codec x264 (December 2008)
- Fifth MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (May 2009) (All versions for free!)
- Sixth MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (May 2010)
- Seventh MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (May 2011)
- Eighth MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (May 2012)
- Ninth MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (Dec 2013)
- Tenth Video Codec Comparison (HEVC) (Oct 2015)
- Eleventh Video Codec Comparison (HEVC) (Aug 2016)
- Twelfth Video Codec Comparison (HEVC) (Aug 2017)
- Thirteen Video Codec Comparison (HEVC) (Aug 2018) (New!)
- Codec Analysis for Companies:
|Last updated: 10-December-2019|
Project updated by
Server Team and MSU Video Group
Project sponsored by YUVsoft Corp.
Project supported by MSU Graphics & Media Lab