MSU Video Codecs Comparison
MSU Graphics & Media Lab (Video Group)
Project head: Dr. Dmitriy Vatolin
Testing, charts, analysis: Sergey Grishin
Translating: Daria Kalinkina, Stanislav Soldatov
Preparing: Nikolai Trunichkin
- 9 testing sequences!
- 11 days (260 hours) total compression time!
- 33 tested codecs!
- 190 pages of comparison report!
- 2430 resulting sequences!
Totally 32 available codecs were tested.
9 sequences with different characteristics were selected as test ones. To check all codecs on different bitrates we had to run them about 2.4 thousand times with different parameters! And in fact we had to test only default parameters here.
Total computational time was more that 11 days, and real time was more, because of errors , including codec ones.
As a result you can see the report below, which includes part (not all) of a received analytical data.
Obviously this report is not full and it will be revised when new codecs, data and analysis will be available. Good luck!
- MSU Codec Comparison (all files in ZIP - 4.8 Mb).
MSU video codecs comparisons resources:
- Introduction to Video Codecs Comparison
- Lossless Video Ñodecs Comparison 2004 (October 2004)
- MPEG-4 SP/ASP Video Codecs Comparison (March 2005)
- JPEG 2000 Image Codecs Comparison (September 2005)
- First Annual MPEG-4 AVC/ H.264 Video Codecs Comparison (January 2005)
- Second Annual MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Video Codec Comparison (December 2005)
- Subjective Comparison of Modern Video Codecs (February 2006)
- MPEG-2 Video Decoders Comparison (May 2006)
- WMP and JPEG2000 Comparison (October 2006)
- Third Annual MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (December 2006) (All versions for free!)
- Lossless Video Codecs Comparison 2007 (March 2007)
- Fourth Annual MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (December 2007) (All versions for free!)
- Options Analysis of MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Codec x264 (December 2008)
- Fifth MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (May 2009) (All versions for free!)
- Sixth MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (May 2010)
- Seventh MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (May 2011)
- Eighth MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (May 2012)
- Ninth MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Comparison (Dec 2013)
- Tenth Video Codec Comparison (HEVC) (Oct 2015)
- Eleventh Video Codec Comparison (HEVC) (Aug 2016)
- Codec Analysis for Companies: (New!)
|Last updated: 10-March-2011|
Project updated by
Server Team and MSU Video Group
Project sponsored by YUVsoft Corp.
Project supported by MSU Graphics & Media Lab